Making espresso shots might seem somewhat scary for the ones who are using it for the first time. And that’s not a thing to be ashamed of. Professional style espresso machines have several features and that makes them hard to understand. Therefore, you surely need help for the first time.
If you are hesitating because you haven’t used a professional style espresso machine before then this will be of help. Once you follow these steps, you won’t be that hesitant, so go on and give it a try.
How To Use an Espresso Machine – Make Espresso Like Pro
Types Of Espresso Machines:
There are two types of espresso machines on the features and functions they offer.
- Personal use espresso machines
- Typical espresso rig (for professionals)
How to Use Personal Espresso Machine:
Espresso machines for personal use are designed to be user friendly. Therefore, there are no complex features and functions. But if you are using it for the first time, then of course you need some assistance. Therefore, here we are to help you out with that. So, here are the steps to follow;
- Clean the machine thoroughly before using it.
- Fill in the water in the water tank.
- Plugin the power cable and turn it on.
- Use the option of coffee (grounded or beans) and press the button.
- Put the coffee powder in the portafilter and place it under the group head.
- Select the volume of coffee that you want, for espresso shots, there is a sign of cup that is filled less than the half. While, for the Americano, you will have the button with full cup sign. Simply press the button that you want.
- Press the brewing option and you will have your hot cup of coffee in your hand.
- If you want a cappuccino or latte, you can also forth the milk. A lot of espresso machines are equipped with a frothing wand. Therefore, you only have to press the steam/ frothing button and place the jar of milk in the wand. You will have completely frothed milk to make coffee art.
How To Use Espresso Rig:
A professional style coffee machine designed for baristas has several functions. Therefore, you have to pay attention to every single part of the machine and feature. So here is the detailed explanation of the parts of a professional espresso rig.
Parts Of An Espresso Rig:
- Steam Wand: It is a long tube placed either at the front or on the side of the espresso machine. It helps you with steaming/ frothing the milk for cappuccinos and lattes. You will also get to see a knob that will help you out in controlling the steam flow. Usually, there are one single steam wand but some high level machine have more than one steam wand.
- Porta Filter: Portafilter is the basket with the handle and a spigot. You will put the coffee in the basket. The basket is having the right size for filling the coffee in. You will fill in different grams of coffee for a single shot, double shot and triple shot. Then press the coffee firmly with some weight. After brewing, coffee will come out form the spigot.
- Grouphead: It is the place where you have to place the portafilter. You will often find more than one grouphead depending upon the size and use of the machine.
- Shot Buttons: These are the buttons that will determine the amount of water to be sent in the portafilter. The single shot button will be expressed through a sip size drink in a cup. While double shot will be two cups of the same volume of coffee. On the other hand, a full cup of coffee will show the Americano drink. It will automatically add water extra to the shot and prepare a complete drink for you.
- Hot Water Spigot: This spigot spills the hot water for both Americanos and espressos. Spigot is a metal thing with double downward drainage pipes attached to the portafilter.
- Warming Rack: No one likes a cold cup of coffee unless it is a cold coffee or an iced Americano. Therefore, you will often see a warming rack in a coffee machine. The sole purpose of this rack is to warm up the coffee cup so that it won’t get cool down. This warming rack is a common thing in commercial coffee machines but not limited. You can also get one in a good personal use espresso rig.
How To Use:
You will simply have to follow these steps
- Thoroughly clean the machine.
- Fill the water tank.
- Plugin the power cable and turn it on.
- Put the right amount of coffee in the portafilter and press it down and then fit it to the group head.
- Press the shot button, either you want a single or double shot. There will be two separate buttons for both options.
- If you want an Americano press the button with a full cup sign.
- Start brewing the coffee by pressing the brewing button.
- Your coffee will start dripping in the cup through the spigot.
- For frothing the milk, press the steamer/ frothing button. Place your milk mug under the steam wand. Start steaming the milk through the control knob. It will maintain pressure as well as the temperature of the milk.
Making Iced Americano:
If you want an iced Americano, make a single or double shot of espresso. Put some ice cubes in the cup and add the espresso shot. Fill the remaining cup with cold water and your iced Americano is ready.