Don’t you have an espresso machine and you can’t even go out to the café for a shot of espresso? Now you should make the espresso without a machine. Don’t be shocked, it’s a completely sane idea. You can always make a strong shot of espresso without the machines.
You must be thinking that espresso needs pressure to extract the right flavors so how is it possible? Well, here we are to answer your question. Even if you don’t have the budget to buy an expensive espresso machine, you can try out these methods.
How to Make Espresso Without a Machine – What Are The Methods?
There are basically three methods to make espresso at home and without any machine.
- Using an AeroPress
- Using a Moka Pot
- Using a French Press
1. Using the AeroPress Method:
One of the easiest way to make Americano without a machine is through the AeroPress. If you are a true coffee lover, you should keep AeroPress in your kitchen. The functioning of the AeroPress is quite simple and easy. You will only need some hot water, an AeroPress and coffee grounds. Just follow these steps:
- Heat Up The Water: The first step is to heat up the water to around 185 to 205 degrees. If you do not have the thermometer and you are not sure about the temperature of the water then boil some water and let it sit for 30 seconds. It will automatically come to the right temperature.
- Set the AeroPress: The next step is the setting of the AeroPress. Place a filter on the drain cap and put it on the AeroPress. Afterward, put the AeroPress on top of the mug in which you want to pour your espresso.
- Put Coffee In: Afterwards, you will have to put two tablespoons of coffee grounds in the AeroPress. Also, pour around half a cup of that hot water that you prepared. Make sure to stir it with a spoon and then let it sit for around 30 sec.
- Pressing The Plunger: The final step is to press down the plunger. This will put pressure on the solution and all of your rich flavored coffee will be poured in the cup placed below.
2. Using the Moka Pot Method:
Here is another method of making espresso without a machine. Moka pot is generally known with the name “Espresso maker”. If you are into teas and coffees, you must have a moka pot at your place. What you need to do with the Moka pot is here;
- Fill Up Water: The very first step is to fill up water in the bottom chamber until the notch.
- Filling In The Coffee Ground: The second step is to put the coffee in the basket and tube. Afterward, place them in the bottom chamber and put the top chamber on the top.
- Place It On The Stove: Now you only have to place the Moka pot on the stove. You have to adjust the heat settings to medium to high.
- Just Wait A Bit: After you wait for a while, you will hear the bubbling sound. That’s the right time to remove the Moka pot from the heat. All the water will brew the coffee completely and will come into the upper chamber of the pot. Your Espresso is freshly brewed and ready for a drink.
3. Using the French Press Method:
Although French press is a method to make espresso at home but use it when you have no choice. The reason behind its least effectiveness is the less amount of pressure that it puts on. Another important thing is that you should use French press method with coarse coffee grounds and not with fine ones. So, here are the steps that you need to follow;
- Put In The Coffee: As for the first step, you will have to put 2 tablespoons of course coffee grounds in the French press.
- Heat Up The Water: If possible, then check for 185 to 205 degrees hot water. Otherwise, just boil a cup of water and wait for 30 seconds.
- Pour In The Water: Wait, wait, wait. Just pour in a small amount of water into the French press at first. Stir it so that it gets in contact with every coffee ground or it makes a paste. After some seconds pour the remaining hot water and stir it again.
- Wait for 4 Minutes: Let the coffee brew for four minutes. Afterward, press down the plunger to put pressure. As the pressure is less in the French press, you can reapply the pressure through the plunger.
Your espresso shot is ready without the machine. So, have the taste of your own hand made coffee.